Embracing the darkness.

Magaly of Pagan Culture is having another one of her scrumptious blog parties. This time the theme is darkness and the goodness that can be found with in it. It's a delicious theme for there is indeed as much goodness in the dark as there is in the day or light.

Her brief is;

The aim of All Hallow’s Grim 2013… So Good, So Dark is to use our artistic power, intellect and heart to create posts that show the delicious goodness that blooms in the dark.

Nyctophobia, fear of the night or Achluophobia fear of the dark seems to be an inbuilt gene in many of the human race, from our earliest beginnings man has been fearful of what lurks in the dark shadows. Children have for generations been afraid of the monster hiding under the bed or in the cupboard, ready to leap out as soon as the light was turned off at night. There is also the darkness of the spirit when depression strikes, those of us who have been there know how terrifying that place can be at first. Gradually though that fear can be beat and the darkness can be seen for what it is, not somewhere terrible, but somewhere your mind goes to rest and shelter when the world is tiring it out. That initial fear of darkness can also slowly turn to fascination for many and the darkness itself has become the muse of artists in many fields, from writing, film making to music etc. Some of the greatest artistic creations have been born in darkness. Like moths drawn to a flame the dark has the power to both scare and attract at the same time. Too be seen as both a danger and as a protective shield.

There seem to be two groups of people in life, the morning larks who live for the day and the night owls who seem to come alive as the sun goes down. I'm most definitely a night owl, something that seems to have been undoubtedly inherited from my mum and her side of the family. My fathers side are all morning larks, solid sensible people and yes it must be said, at times boring but they do it with the best of intentions. My mum on the other hand had a dry but wicked sense of humor, I was brought up with her love of midnight feasts, a joy of the night and her somewhat rebelious attitude to life.

The night can bring both silent solitude for quite contemplation or joyous fun and laughter. The dangers that may lurk in the night are no more than those that are lurking in the brightness of daylight. Our ancient ancestors started many of the feasts and festivals at the going down of the sun when a new day to their minds began. Night and day are part of the same cycle, one could not exist without the other and neither half is evil. Let us embraced the dark as much as the light for there are shades of both in all of us, by accepting that we find our own balance.

Comments

  1. Great post & so true, I so believe night & day, light & dark, good & evil, exist because of the other, these marriages of nature repeated often in real life (your parents for example, whoops, not the good/evil I mean the night/day LOL) Pleased I dropped by, look forward to reading more of your posts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two half's make a whole, it's repeated through out nature. Thanks for visiting me.

      Delete
    2. Two half's make a whole, it's repeated through out nature. Thanks for visiting me.

      Delete
  2. I've read that Celtic cultures measured time by nights rather than days, hence the expression 'a fortnight' for two weeks. And yes, without night, there'd be no rest, no sleep, no peace. Babies, (bless 'em) often choose to come at night...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm not sure modern man has quite got it right trying to control both nature and time, nature will always have her own way.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I'm not sure modern man has quite got it right trying to control both nature and time, nature will always have her own way.

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed this post! It's always interesting to me the way some people embrace the darkness, while others do anything to avoid it. I loved spooky movies/TV/books from a very young age, but my mother can't stand anything like that. I also used to have midnight feasts with my friends when I was a kid (thanks to reading Enid Blyton books), so thank you for that little nostalgic trip down memory lane. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully said...all things in balance :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this post twice. I love the way the words flow almost as much as I love the content. You have a way--a smooth, smooth way--to go from one sub-topic to the other in the same breath; it feels delicious.

    Your take on darkness is wonderful. I agree with Gina, it's all about balance. And with you, too, (and your mom) the darkness can be as lovely and as dangerous as the light. It's all about perspective ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Magaly, moving form one topic to another seems to work sometimes in writing. In life it just drives everyone around me nuts. hehe.

      Delete
  6. I read this post twice. I love the way the words flow almost as much as I love the content. You have a way--a smooth, smooth way--to go from one sub-topic to the other in the same breath; it feels delicious.

    Your take on darkness is wonderful. I agree with Gina, it's all about balance. And with you, too, (and your mom) the darkness can be as lovely and as dangerous as the light. It's all about perspective ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. All my favourite people seem to be Owls of the night. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most people find it odd that I love the night but hate things like creepy horror films, but there is so many things in the night to enjoy every personally can find something. I still love midnight feasts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts